Iberia airlines is Spains national airline or "flag carrier" and maintains an extensive domestic route network with onwards international connections throughout Europe.
Inter continantal routes serve North America (in co operation with American Airlines), Africa and the Middle East. Iberias
South American flights are considered to be the best from Europe in terms of destinations and frequencies. There are no routes to Asia or Oceania and these destinations are covered via codeshare arrangements with other "oneworld" airlines such as Hong Kongs Cathay Pacific or Australias Qantas.
If flying Iberia internationally the fleet is modern, based around the latest airbus aircraft, and comfortable with a typical airline level of onboard service ie "nothing to write home about". In comparison domestic and intra Europe flights have a very different level of onboard service depending on whether the flight is operated by Iberia itself or its regional partner Air Nostrum.
If flying Iberia then the service onboard is the same as any low cost carrier. ie pay for food and drink and 2nd suitcase etc. On the other hand Air Nostrum has regularly been voted as the European and World regional carrier of the year and recieves a number of other awards for its excellent on board product. High quality meals with fresh products and attentive service are the norm.
Ticket tips and pointers
Five points about Iberia airlines that travellers should have in mind when deciding to fly or not with this airline.
- If flying to Spain with Iberia from outside Europe then purchasing your domestic flights in Spain as part of the international legs works out considerably cheaper than doing so seperately.
- The agreements that Iberia airlines have with hotels and hire car companies are considerably more expensive than
organising these directly oneself.
- Be aware that domestic baggage weights and restrictions are different to international and considerably less.
- If flying with a different carrier and using Iberia only on a domestic basis from Madrid you will need to change
terminals. Iberia flys only from the new T4 in Madrid which adds an hour to your connecting time if not conecting Iberia to Iberia or Oneworld to Iberia.
- If it is your intention to visit Madrid and one or more of Barcelona, Sevilla, Alicante or Valencia then the city to city links via high speed train are similarly priced and timed but offer greater comfort from downtown departure
- If purchasing domestic tickets the cheapest Spain flight tickets are available direct from the airline for travel
during the week at midday. Not the weekends.
Iberia airlines offers reward points and travel for members of oneworld airlines reward programs. In the UK this is British airways and in the USA American Airlines.
Discover other flight options to Iberia airlines...>
Explore the alternatives to flying in Spain...>