Santander airport, is just outside the city of Santander Spain by some 5kms. This proximity to the city that it serves means that visitors to Santander and indeed Cantabria enjoy some of the fastest plane to city center transfer times in Spain.
With 11 destinations, both national and international, and the presence of low cost airlines, flying to Santander is possible from major cities in Europe and Spain. Cheap flights to Santander can be had from the UK, Belgium and Italy aiding the spread of the city's fame as a popular long weekend cultural destination.
Transport to and from
Being just 5 minutes from the city and perched at the edge of Northern Spains motorway network the airport serves a number of Northern Spanish cities with public transport direct from the terminal.
- By road: Having a slip road that connects directly to the A-8 coastal motorway means that Santander airport can act as an effective alternative to nearby Bilbao as well as connecting to the Cantabrian town of Torrelavega and Llanes in nearby Asturias.
- By Taxi: Although Taxis meet almost all flights in the rare event that you need to reserve a taxi transfer the telephone number for RadioTAxi Santander is 942 333 333. Be aware that the operator will only speak Spanish. Taxis to the city center are around 20€.
- By Bus: From the airport in Santander there are two types of buses. The shuttle bus to the central bus station in Santander and the coastal inter city buses that connect the airport directly to Gijon, Bilbao and Oviedo. Both types are operated by the same company Alsa and fares to the bus station in Santander are 2€ in each direction. Services depart on the hour and half hour. For fares to other destinations in the north of Spain check the Alsa website.
Airlines and destinations
A nice balance of national and international flights allows passengers to plan European trips or circuits of Spain that include a visit to Santander.
Domestic airlines and destinations
Multiple daily flights connect Santander to the economic hubs of Spain as well as leisure flights taking the tourist to sunny mediteranean or Canary island shores.
- Alicante flights by Ryanair - Low cost
- Barcelona flights by Air Nostrum / Iberia - Regional
- Gran Canaria flights by Air Nostrum / Iberia - Regional
- Madrid flights by Iberia and Ryanair - Mix of low cost and legacy
- Reus flights by flights by Ryanair - Low cost
- Sevilla, Seville flights by Air Nostrum / Iberia - Regional
- Valencia flights by Air Nostrum / Iberia - Regional
International flights and destinations
International flights are provided exclusively by Ryanair which is a blessing for the forward planning visitor who is able to reserve in advance and take advantage of some very heavily discounted air fares.
- Brussels flights by Ryanair
- London Stansted flights by Ryanair
- Lubeck flights by Ryanair
- Milan flights by Ryanair
- Rome flights by Ryanair
Return from Santander airport to Airports in Spain
Unique Spain > Spanish airports >